background

Monday, June 6, 2011

Memorial Day Weekend

I think I have mentioned before that I made a "Before Baby Comes To-Do" list.  One of the things on that list was plant grass in the spots in the spots in front and back yard that had died.  We started this a few weeks ago by planting the sod in the back yard and finished it Memorial day weekend in the front yard.  When I say "we", I mainly mean David.  I picked up the sod from the nursery while David prepared the ground (the guy at the nursery loaded it for me so all I really did was pay for it and drive it home).  David unloaded the sod from the car and cut it (using his geometry skills) to fit the shape of the bare space.  He laid it all perfectly and has made sure to give it plenty of water so that it takes root and begins to mesh with the rest of the grass.  This is just one of the many "projects" on the list.  Quite a few of them are complete, which is great.  I planted our annual plants in pots and planted 3 cherry tomato plants (I will probably be handing out tomatoes on the street considering David doesn't even like them).  The main things left on the list are baby room related projects, which my mom will be able to help with when she comes to Denver this weekend.

We didn't just "work" over Memorial day weekend.  We also hosted a really fun Memorial Day/Birthday BBQ (my bday was Sunday 5/29).  It's weird to think that is my last birthday without Austin.  About 30 of our friends came on Monday afternoon for some good food, games, and just hanging out.  Thankfully the weather was great (a little on the windy side), but not rainy or cold (like we had been having).  We smoked a brisket and served pulled pork with Goode Company BBQ sauce.  Everyone brought side dishes or drinks (Christina's yummy mac 'n cheese, salads, chips beer, wine).  I made a delicious ice cream cake.  It was brownie on the bottom layer, then fudge sauce, then BlueBell homeade vanilla ice cream, topped with oreo cookie crumbs.  There is still some left in the freezer that I have been munching on over the past week.  The guys played bean bag toss (or corn hole) most of the time and the girls just chatted.  I was so happy that Meredith and Matt were able to come to the party and meet our friends and see our house on their way to the airport back to Austin.  We had such a fun time and it might be our last big BBQ for a while since I don't know if I will have the energy to host a party like that with a newborn (i.e. for Labor day or something like that).  Unfortunately, I forgot to take pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment