background

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Weekend with the Barretts

Last weekend, David's sister, Ellen, her husband, Davy, their two kids, Ben and Summer, and their 2 big dogs, Autumn and Berger, came to stay with us for 3 nights.  We had a full house!  Every summer since we have lived in Denver they have come to visit for about a week or so. This time they only stayed at our house for 3 nights (I think they realized I am VERY pregnant and 5-6 nights might be a little much).  We had a great time, as usual.  They had already been camping in SW Colorado for 2 nights and stayed in Golden with friends for 2 nights before coming to our house.  They stay in the "basement suite", dogs and all.  They arrived on Friday morning and David took the day off.  They all went swimming at our country club (while I worked).  That night we all rode the light rail train to the Rockies game (we went all out with $4 rock pile tickets).  It was a lot of fun and the thunderstorms that night were all around the stadium but it never actually rained hard on us.  On Saturday we ventured out to the Cherry Creek Farmers' Market for a little while.  Summer was attached to me for this adventure.  She even went into Bed Bath and Beyond next to the farmers market to use their bathroom with me (since I can't last more than about 45 minutes these days).  Then we went to WhichWich to pick up a picnic lunch and took it to a park near our house (at Summer's request; she didn't want to just go home to eat it).  It was hot (mid 90's) that day, but in the shade, it was comfortable.  My doctor had strictly warned me to stay out of the heat.  We came home and the kids napped (I rested too) for about 2 hours.  That night we attempted to go to dinner at Steuben's in uptown, but there was a 90 minute wait.  Luckily there was another restaurant (Park & Co) next door so we ended up eating there.  It's owned by the same people who own Park Burger near our house so I knew the food would be good and it was.

 Hanging with all 3 dogs

Before a night on the town

Piggy back ride after dinner!

Sunday was Summer's "4th Birthday".  It is actually on July 25th but since they will most likely spend all day in the car that day (driving back from Montana), Ellen and Davy thought it would be fun to celebrate with us.  Davy took her to a father/daughter breakfast, Ellen and Ben shopped for gifts at Target, made cards, and wrapped gifts.  I made some cupcakes and picked up a gift at Target for her.  It was so fun to see how excited Ben was to "be in on the secrets" and help his mom and dad get ready for Summi's birthday.  By the way, Summer loved to touch my belly and ask me "when is Austin going to come out?"  When she would touch and he wasn't moving she would say "is he still sleeping?".  It was so cute.  Austin is going to love his older cousins.  Sunday night we went to Christy's family's pool. Christy is David's first cousin who lives here and she is married to Corrie and they have 2 girls (Hayden-9 and Maddie-7).  The kids all swam while I sat in the shade and talked.  I didn't even buy a maternity swim suit.  I don't have the opportunity to swim that often in Denver so I didn't bother.  If I had been in Texas (with the lake house and LONG, hot summer), I definitely would have invested in one).  We sang "Happy Birthday" to Summer at the pool and ate cupcakes (even though the birthday girl didn't even like the cupcakes I made - sad, but oh well).  

She likes the LOOK of the cupcakes


After the pool Summer opened some gifts at our house.  She got a "new" bike thanks to a hand-me-down from Maddie.  She also got a computer from Ben (a pink heart shaped one).  We are thankful that the Barrett family likes road trips and will come visit us each summer.  As Austin grows up I know he will love when his cousins and aunt and uncle come to visit! 

No comments:

Post a Comment