background

Sunday, April 29, 2012

Playing catch up

The past couple of weeks have been busy.  Sunday 4/15 I ran in a half marathon.  It was a smaller one (only 3,000) people that went from Littleton to near downtown along the Platte river bike path.  The night before the forecast called for an inch or so of snow on the ground by morning and the storm to be wrapping up around 10am (of course, after the race).  I woke up that morning to no snow and even a little sun.  Yea!  The race didn't start until 9am, which was nice that it wasn't super early.  My friend Kara was also running so her fiance, Jay, drove us to the start so we didn't have to worry about parking.  The race was fine except for the wind.  We were running north the entire way and the wind was blowing from the north the entire way.  No fun!  The last 4 miles were a little tough, but I finished in 1:39:45, which is my 2nd best half marathon (about 7:36 pace).  David and Austin met me at the finish line.  The wind picked up even more and the clouds rolled in after I finished so we didn't get to hang around too long at the post-race festivities because it was cold for Austin.  That afternoon, Rachel, Adam and Brody came over for an early dinner.  It was actually very calm for a dinner with a toddler and an infant.  We had BBQ pulled pork and a yummy salad that Rachel made.

Playing with my "arranged friend", Brody



David left for Vegas for work on Monday until Wednesday night.  On Tuesday morning Austin was so fussy.  I had never seen him like this.  He woke up and was fussing in his crib (usually he just hangs out happily until I come get him).  While I was finishing putting on my makeup he would not stop crying.  I took his temperature and he didn't have a fever.  It was so strange.  I decided to go ahead and take him to school and he fell asleep as soon as we got in the car to drive there- worn out from all that crying.  Around 10am his teacher called me to tell me he had a 101 fever.  So I packed up all of my things including some things to work on from home. I knew I would be staying home since David was still out of town.  That afternoon he did not have a fever anymore and seemed fairly happy.  We went on a run and he rode happily in the stroller.  He seemed to be doing better but just tired.  On Wednesday I was planning to take him to school after lunch since he had been fever-free for 24 hours.  But on Wednesday morning he threw up, ALOT.  So Austin and I were home all day Wednesday.  I worked during his naps and focused on making sure he was hydrated.  He even had some mango flavored pedialyte.  Boy, did he love that; it was like candy.  On Wednesday evening I started to feel sick.  David came home around 7pm that night and in the middle of the night I woke up with a 101.4 fever - no good.  So Austin and I stayed home again on Thursday except this time mommy was sick and baby was doing better.  Meanwhile I was doing my best to disinfect everything so that David wouldn't catch this nasty bug.  We all went to work/school on Friday.  I was feeling okay but I didn't realize I wasn't better until half way through the day on Friday.  We just hung out at home on Friday night.  Saturday morning David played golf and Austin and I ran errands.  These errands involved buying a plethora of cleaning products (mentally that would help the eliminate the bug).  I also managed to go the Sprint store to buy my first iPhone.  Austin was a hit at the Sprint store - happy, healthy boy.  Meanwhile, I was not better.  (Austin loves the iPhone btw; therefore, I did by the Otter box case for protection in case he gets his hands on it and drops it, which I am sure will happen.  Yes, I know the otter box doubles its size, but I am willing to live with that if it protects it from falls).  Later that afternoon, David was home from golf and he caught the BUG.  Yuck!  He was banned to the basement and Austin and I stayed upstairs.  That night, my body proved that the bug was not gone yet.  I got sick during the night and twice on Sunday.  It is hard being sick and taking care of a baby.  No fun.  I prayed for God to heal me, and heal me fast (and David too).  We stocked up on Gatorade and crackers.  I'll just skip to Monday- the Bug had died and we wall went to work and school.

This is like candy

Mango candy, yum!
Everyone stayed healthy for the whole week.  This weekend we dined at Park Burger on Friday night with Austin.  Everyone there has kids at 5:30 on a Friday.  Yesterday David played golf in the morning while Austin and I went to the grocery store and Bed Bath and Beyond.  7:30am on Saturday is the best time to go to the grocery store; no one is there!  I ran in the afternoon (we can still do that here because yesterday the high was only 60).  We went to church last night at 5pm.  Austin went to the kids room.  About half-way through the service his number flashed on the little screen.  Oh no- that meant he was crying and not consolable.  I went to get him and he was so upset.  Poor baby.  I took him to the nursing room and he nursed to calm down.  I think he is in that phase where he wants his mommy.  He is fine at school because he knows the classroom, his crib there, the teachers, etc.  But he doesn't know the kids room or teachers at church yet.  We will have to keep trying until he gets used to it.  Today David is cleaning out the pond in our backyard (dreaded annual task).  Austin is curious about everything.  I gave him a spatula, cup, and some tupperware on the floor in the kitchen today.  That entertained him for a good 30 minutes while I cooked.  We went on a walk to Harvard Gulch park near our house and Austin had a blast in the swing.  That will be a fun, easy summer activity.

 



1 comment:

  1. Did David stock the pond with fish?? Glad you guys are feeling better! PS... Amazing race pace!!

    ReplyDelete