background

Friday, May 10, 2013

Denver visit!

 Last weekend, David and I went to Denver to visit friends.  It was a "get-away" weekend that was my Christmas gift and our anniversary in one.  We stayed in the Brown Palace hotel downtown as a treat.  We left Austin in MiMi's care for the weekend.  (thank you Mary!)  My Aunt Carrie also came by for a few hours to give Mary a break on Saturday.  He had a blast with MiMi and playing with cousins Ben and Summer.  Mary said every once in a while he would pause, look around, and say "MaMa" and "DaDa" as if he was wondering when we were coming back.  I wish I could have seen this.  We definitely missed Austin so much, but at the same time, it was so fun to go back to the place we called home for almost 5 years and hang out with friends there.  We arrived on Friday afternoon and made our way from the airport to our old neighborhood.  Our house looked the same and the neighborhood did too.  We forgot how small the houses look (since they all have basement space) compared to the houses in our new neighborhood. That's not to say our new neighborhood has huge houses but they are more spread out and on bigger lots.  We headed to our hotel, checked in, and changed for dinner.  Kelly and Ryan Puckett met us at the hotel for a drink before heading to Amato's Ale House for dinner.  This was the last place David and I went on a date before moving to Houston.  It has a great view of the city (although we didn't sit outside this time since it was 40 degrees).  After that, we headed to the Yard House right by our hotel and had another drink.  It was so fun to catch up with Ryan and Kelly since the last time we saw them was in October at their wedding.  

On Saturday morning, David had an early tee time at Cherry Creek with his golf buddy Reid.  It is crazy that the city got 5 inches of snow on the Wednesday just before and there was no sign of it by Friday and David could play golf.  That is "spring time" in Denver for ya!  I took my time getting up and headed to my favorite running trail (Highline canal) for a run in the cool, crisp air.  I would have gone to Wash Park but I noticed on the news that the "Furry Scurry" race was there that morning and there were 12,000 people expected.  I ran for about 8 miles and enjoyed the mountain view.  I even saw one of the guys from my old company, Archstone, who I was on a company Marathon relay team with last May. I headed back to the hotel to shower and then went to meet my sweet friends, Michelle and Pippa, for lunch at Root Down.  It was fun to catch up with them.  Pippa had just had her 2nd baby girl 10 days before but she left the kiddos at home with her husband.  I miss seeing these girls at Bible study each week!  After David finished golf, we went to Adam and Rachel's house and an early dinner with Veronica, Ryan, Christina, Brandon, and Anna-Lisa.  We got to meet baby Garrett (Brody's little brother) who is 3 months old.  I think he looks so much like Rachel and so different from his brother!  They are both precious.  Thanks for hosting a fun get-together! 

Right after that we all went to Red Rocks for the Chris Tomlin concert.  It was about 35 degrees so we bundled up with coats, scarves and hats.  At least it didn't rain or snow!  The amphitheater setting is already so majestic and it made it even more awesome of a night that we were worshiping our creator God surrounded by towering rocks and the mountains as a backdrop.  I am so glad all of our friends decided to go too!  

The next morning we slept in (til like 8:30 - woah!) and headed to the airport for a noon flight.  I already can't wait to go back, but next time it will be with my little guy since he was missed.  


I really do love this trail

Rachel and Christina pre-concert!

 

Burning Lights Tour

Drive to Red Rocks

Thanks Veronica for letting me borrow a coat

Miss these friends!


We got to come back and see this little guy!!!

Cooking (with Bear in hand, of course)

Little chef - he loves to make eggs

Homeade quesadilla for Cinco de Mayo dinner

Every time we pull in the garage Austin says "wa-wa".  His mind is always on "wa-wa", either from the hose, or his water table or his new baby pool (thanks to MiMi!)

Daddy is the tickle monster


2 comments:

  1. This sounds like a great weekend, glad you got to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun weekend, but I don't think you could pay me to go to a concert in 35 degree weather!

    ReplyDelete